Friday, January 6, 2012

Ignoring the experts--a published writer stays true to her work

I have always found tales of success in the face of a naysayer particularly inspiring. At some point in our lives, most of us have had an idea, endeavor, or passion that someone else didn't agree with or understand. That's at best. More likely, we also have had people who told us outright, perhaps even with best intentions, that we were going down the wrong path, our goals destined to remain in the realm of day dreams, our path clearly the wrong one. 

When I read a story about someone who persisted and followed their own path despite a naysayer (and a so-called "expert" at that) and met with success... well, it gives me a little more hope, and a little more pep in my own step! Today, as the new year approaches, I thought I would repost a blog post by an author friend of mine, Nancy Bilyeau. Nancy has followed the traditional publishing path and her first novel, The Crown, will be released here in the U.S. on Jan. 10, 2011.

The Crown has been receiving rave reviews despite an "expert" writing instructor's opinion that historical fiction just might not be the genre in which she should be writing. Reading her blog inspired me, and I hope you will feel the same way. I, for one, plan to continue to learn and grow in 2012 while pursuing the path that feels best for me.

Every writer has to choose their own path, and sometimes well meaning advice has to be ignored, or at least tempered with the writer's unique perspective of what they want their work to express. Nancy made the right choice, and this post is proof of her courage. She understands the golden rule: writing is a deeply personal affair--and every writer must be the final judge of his/her work. No teacher or critique group can understand the work like the writer.
A Bloody Good Read:Where writers and readers of historical thrillers talk shop: Confessions of a Genre Writer: In 2006, in my first online fiction workshop, I submitted two chapters from the historical thriller I’d begun writing. My fello...

No comments:

Post a Comment